Monday, August 08, 2005

 

More tales of "the big city"

Here's a story for you!

So I'm working in the wine shop today, dusting the beer racks (you wouldn't believe the dust in that place) when someone comes ambling up. He gets SO excited that we have beer in the middle of the market! He says he loves the beer with all the wheat in it, so I show him that we have some with extra sediment at the bottom. Suddenly, he looks over to one rack and gets disgusted.

"Indian Pale Ale? I don't want me no Indian beer!"

I'm quoting directly here.

It takes all my strength to explain that IPA is a brewing process type and the IPA he is pointing at was from Ohio. Apparently, the "Buckeye Brewing" label wasn't enough to convince him that it wasn't bottled in New Delhi, even if it was the '76 specialty brew, decked out in the American flag. Maybe he lost a job to outsourcing, because he bought a Belgian beer instead of the regional one JUST IN CASE.

I keep hearing about how much of the non-urban life around here is completely farming mentality, but seeing examples on a constant basis keeps unsettling me.

Comments:
How very odd and strange--we really do tend to be "yokelesque"--it's too bad, really. Philly is at least known as a cultural place!
 
In my hometown (pop. 8,000), they don't sell anything but Budweiser, Miller Lite, etc. When I moved to Columbus I was amazed to find Killians and Sam Adams! C-bus does have its share of hillbillies though. Most of the time I'm OK with that, because I grew up with them and at least I know what to expect from them. Willful ignorance is not attractive in anyone, though.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?